This Mystery Ranch tactical backpack was designed for the Marine Special Ops Battalion (MSOB). It includes the Overload 3-Zip Pack, Daypack Lid, and NICE Frame with Futura Yoke and Mystery Cinch. Each of these components contribute to the comfort, convenience, and versatility of this pack.
Mystery Ranch Hunting Pack aka ‘Overload’ Tactical Backpack
This is the original pack that all Mystery Ranch hunting packs were designed from. It is the ultimate for humping a big load with a rifle or large case (or big game) sandwiched between the frame and pack. Water and other essentials can be stowed in the easily accessible outside pockets. Access supplies inside the pack quickly with the 3-zip design. The pack lid offers additional storage and doubles as a daypack with its own shoulder straps.
So why is this pack named ‘Overload’? Because it has a load sling between the pack and the frame so you can stuff more gear in when you need to. That can be as skinny as your rifle or as wide as you can handle. The sling keeps the heaviest part of the load near your back for better comfort and balance. This extra load is stabilized by the same high abrasion-resistant, grippy Hypalon fabric used to build whitewater rafts.
Military Tactical Backpack ‘Overload’ Features
- Fabric: 500D Cordura (custom spec’d with Teflon® and polyurethane (PU) coatings for maximum durability, UV, and weather protection)
- Overload feature allows for securing of a rifle between the frame and the bag
- Load Hauling: Load-bearing slings
- Zippers: 3-Zip design for quick access using water-repellent, IR-Compliant YKK® zippers
- PALS webbing accommodates MOLLE accessories
- Water Bladder Pockets: 2 long internal sleeves for up to 3L bladders
- 2 Stretchy Hip Pockets: One on each side to hold water bottles, etc.
- Vertical Loops: Each side of zipper to attach equipment
- Interior MOLLE: 6 rows and 8 loops on the inside back for attaching accessories
- Exterior MOLLE: Webbing on waist belt and exterior for attaching accessories
- Top Port: Opens from either side for antennae, cables, and/or hydration
- Bottom Straps: For attaching sleeping mats, etc.
- Volume: 3000 cu in (49 L)
- Weight: 8 lb 4oz (3.75 kg)
NICE Daypack Lid
The fully detachable pack lid has two zippered pockets for small gear. It has a hinged construction so the lid can lock down tighter on top to contain overloads. Best of all, it has a hidden strap assembly so you can use it as a daypack with enough room for two MREs and two 100-oz water bladders. The front pocket also has a port for a hydration tube.
Military Backpack Lid/Cover Features
- Fabric: 500D Cordura nylon
- 2 Pockets for small items
- Shoulder Straps: Hidden until wanted for use as daypack
- Velcro: on outside for identification and patches
- Volume: 900 cu in (14.7 L)
- Weight: 1 lb (0.5 kg)
NICE Frame Carrying System
Marines face long hours in extreme environments so it is critical that their equipment works with them and not against them. NICE for them, nice for you! The NICE Frame distributes the weight of the load across a 3x3 grid of carbon fiber stays sewn into nylon web tubes. This design transfers the pack’s weight to the hips for carrying heavy loads comfortably while still allowing the frame to flex as you move.
Short? Tall? The quick-release Futura Yoke is adjustable to any torso length so you can get the right distance between your back and the frame. Plus, the shoulder harness can be adjusted to match the curves of your body to further transfer pack weight to your hips.
Using IBA, MTV or other body armor? Mystery Ranch’s module cinch strap can reroute the shoulder pads to avoid chafing, bleeding, and nerve damage.
Mystery Ranch NICE Frame Features
- Fabric: 500D Cordura nylon (lightweight with superior waterproofing)
- Grid Material: Carbon/fiberglass composite
- Futura Yoke: Adjustable, quick-release yoke and shoulder harness
- Body Armor: BVS (Bolstered Ventilation and Stability system) bolsters easily removed
- Mystery Cinch: Reroutes shoulder pads to accommodate body armor
- Compatibility: Overload plus many other Mystery Ranch backpacks
- Weight: 4lbs 10oz (2.1 kg)
NSN: 8465-01-610-5634 (Coyote Tan in size Medium only)
Made in the USA
Be sure to check go to the Video tab to see Mystery Ranch’s overview of this entire system. They go through every component and how to secure weapons, bulky items, etc. Well worth the 5-minute watch!
Also, check out the outstanding review on Mystery Ranch Overload 3-Zip on a German website. Both Google and Safari do a good job of translating it on the fly so you can get the perspective of a real user.
Fun Factoid: Our enquiring minds couldn’t stand not knowing what NICE stood for so we gave Mystery Ranch a call. The customer service rep didn’t know off the top of his head so he asked around. Apparently when they designed that pack frame someone exclaimed, “That’s a nice frame!” So they decided to call it the NICE Frame. Tongue in cheek, it is rumored to stand for “New and Improved Carrying Equipment”… but not really. No acronym is necessary when it is honestly a “Nice Frame”.
BTW, they manufacture most of their ‘Made in USA’ packs right in Bozeman, Montana. Why do we care here at Billings Army Navy Surplus? Because we’re Montanans and proud of the work our fellow Montanans do! When they have more work than they can handle, they have a backup facility in the U.S.